– “Meeting the economic challenges of regional and rural Australia: Leveraging community capacity to foster innovation in vocational education and training (VET)”, ACPET National Conference, Hobart, August 2016.
– “Leveraging philanthropy to foster innovation and financial sustainability in vocational education”, Innovative Business Models for VET Organisations, Akolade conference, Sydney, July 2016.
– “Community education providers, work-based learning and foundation skills”, 25th National Vocational Education and Training Research Conference (“No Frills”), NCVER, Rockhampton, Queensland, July 2016.
– “Waltz With Bashir“, guest lecture and discussion, Department of Hebrew, Biblical and Jewish Studies, University of Sydney, April 2016.
– “The Passion of the Christ 11 Years On”, XVIIth Film and History Association of Australia and New Zealand (FHAANZ) Conference, Brisbane, July 2015.
– “Film Criticism in Australia: How much does it matter?” XVIIth Film and History Association of Australia and New Zealand (FHAANZ) Conference, Brisbane, July 2015.
– “The Passion of the Christ: Film, religion, controversy and response”, Limmud Oz, The Shalom Institute, UNSW Australia, Sydney, June 2015.
– “Managing Your Debt and Common Business Scams”, Pharmacy Guild of Australia national conference, Sydney, June 2014. An article about this presentation appeared in the Australian Journal of Pharmacy, August 2014, pp. 18-19.
– For ASIC’s Community Outreach Program, other presentations included: NSW Department of Education Distance Education Forum (June 2014), University of Sydney orientation week (February 2014), Australian Government Department of Human Services, Campbelltown Youth Forum, Salvation Army Moneycare managers, NSW Department of Fair Trading, Financial Counsellors Association of NSW and a number of youth interagency networks in metropolitan Sydney and regional NSW – Nowra, Lismore, Maitland, Armidale and Moruya. I also conducted 20 full-day training sessions on the National Consumer Credit Protection Act for financial counsellors, legal aid and community lawyers and other consumer advocates in Sydney, Western Sydney (Penrith), Lismore, Coffs Harbour, Armidale, Tamworth, Newcastle, Orange, Nowra and Wagga Wagga.
– “MoneySmart Rookie: ASIC’s financial literacy for young people initiative”, presentation to the Australian Financial Inclusion Network quarterly meeting (coordinated by The Brotherhood of St Laurence), Sydney, May 2013.
– “ASIC’s Youth in Transition project”, in the “Launch Pad” session, presentation to the Financial Counselling Australia annual conference, Sydney, May 2013.
– “ASIC and Youth Outreach Activities”, presentation to the Joint Outreach Initiatives Network, Sydney, January 2013.
– “America Decides: The 2012 Presidential Election”, ASIC staff seminar, Sydney, November 2012.
– “ASIC and Education”, presentation Rotary District 9750 conference, Campbelltown NSW, October 2012.
– “Jewish Film and Hollywood Stories”, presentation at the conference of the Union of Progressive Judaism, Sydney, October 2012.
– “Telling Jewish stories on screen”, Emanuel School teacher professional development seminar, Randwick NSW, October 2012.
– Student Keynote Speaker, Macquarie University Faculty of Arts graduation, April 2012. Click here to read a copy of this speech.
– “The Changing Role of Media and Technology in Australian Medicine”, seminar for Vietnam Health Strategy Policy Institute partnership with University of NSW, Sydney, February 2012.
– “Digital Inclusion in the Broadband World: Challenges for Australia”, presentation at the Communications Policy and Research Forum, Sydney, 7 November 2011. You can read (or download) a full copy of the paper here: Don Perlgut Digital Inclusion paper CPRF 7Nov2011
– “The Passion of the Christ Seven Years On: Cultural Impacts”, PCA/ACA & Southwest/Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Associations Joint Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 2011.
– “Indigenous Health and the Rural Health Education Foundation”, National Rural Health Alliance conference, Perth, March 2011.
– “Indigenous Health Communication: A Case Study of the Strong Series, 2005-2010″, Australian and New Zealand Communications Association (ANZCA) conference, Canberra, July 2010.
– “The Passion of the Christ: Box Office Considerations”, Screen Economics Research Group, Department of Economics, University of Sydney, July 2010.
– Guest lecturer in “American Film and Hollywood”, United States Study Centre, University of Sydney, April 2010.
– “Holocaust Meaning and Memory through Film”, Shalom Institute, University of New South Wales, March 2010 – course lecturer, along with Professor Yehuda Bauer.
– “New Business Models for Australian Media Organisations”, Australia & New Zealand Communications Association (ANZCA) Conference, Brisbane, July 2009.
– “Marketing to Doctors in the Bush”, Australian Pharmaceutical Marketing and Research Group (APMRG) Conference, Sydney, June 2009.
– “The Passion of the Christ Five Years On: What Happened?” Limmud Oz, Shalom Institute, University of NSW, Sydney, June 2009.
– I interviewed Catherine Martin, the Oscar, AFI and BAFTA-winning costume and set designer (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet), about her professional career and role (as co-producer, as well as production and costumer designer) in the film Australia, which was directed by her partner Baz Luhrmann, at the National Council of Jewish Women 85th anniversary dinner, Sydney, August 2008.
– “Comedy in Film: What do Borat, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks and Ben Stiller have in common?” Keynote dinner speech at Shalom College, University of New South Wales, Sydney, August 2008.
– “The Long Tail in Australia”, Australian and New Zealand Communications Association (ANZCA) Conference, Melbourne, July 2007.
– “Developing Indigenous Health Projects: Challenges and Opportunities for Non-Indigenous Organisations”, to the Indigenous Activities Group of Philanthropy Australia, Sydney, July 2007.
– “Antisemitism and Film“, Limmud Oz, University of NSW, June 2007.
– Presentation and special preview screening of Drinking for Two? (on Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder), National Rural Health Alliance conference, Albury NSW, March 2007.
– “The Passion of the Christ: Antisemitism and Film Marketing”, Australian Association of Jewish Studies conference, Sydney, February 2007.
– “Community ways of healing: What can we learn? An innovative approach to understanding Indigenous health through television-based CME”, Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine conference, Adelaide, November 2006.
– “Maximising Educational Access for Rural and Remote Health Professionals: Responsive Business & Technology Models for Continuing Medical Education”, 7th WONCA Rural Health Conference, Seattle, Washington USA, September 2006.
– “Start Strong – A New Resource for Aboriginal Infant and Maternal Health”, Presentation and preview screening at the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Infant & Perinatal Health Conference, Homebush, Sydney, May 2006.
– “Expanding Your Satellite Communications Network to Enhance Service Delivery in Rural and Remote Australia”, SatCom Australia conference, Sydney, December 2005.
– “Aboriginal Health Professional Development through Distance Television”, Health Partnerships Conference, North Coast Areas Health Service & Northern Rivers University Department of Rural Health, Coffs Harbour NSW, November 2005.
– “Why Was The Passion of the Christ So Successful? A unique case study of marketing and film reception in Australia and the USA”, Australasian Cultural Studies Conference, Sydney, November 2005.
– “Maximising Educational Access for Australian Rural and Remote Health Professionals through Satellite Television: A Case Study of the Rural Health Education Foundation”, National Rural Health Association 28th Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana USA, May 2005.
– “Overcoming the Limitation of Time and Distance: Supporting Rural Healthcare Delivery by Maximising Educational Access”, SatCom Australia conference, Sydney, October 2004.
– “Continuing Professional Development for Rural Health Professionals”, Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine Scientific Forum, Alice Springs, July 2004.
– “Continuing Professional Development as Social Change: Satellite Television for Rural Health Professionals”, Australian and New Zealand Communication Association Conference, Sydney, July 2004.
– “What ‘dot-tv’ Means for ‘dot-edu-au’: Interactive television and education”, Queensland International Open Learning Conference, Brisbane, December 2000.
– “Interactive Television and Education: Implications for the Adult and Community Education Sector”, Central West Adult Education Conference on Flexible Delivery, Bathurst NSW, December 2000.
– “Marketing the Educational Organisation”, North West Adult Education Conference, Armidale NSW, November 2000.
– “Marketing Non-Profit Organisations”, ACE Council Conference, Sydney, May 2000.
– “Open Learning in Australia: The role of national television and radio”, – with John Julian – paper presented to the 17th World Conference of the International Council for Distance Education, Birmingham, UK, June 1995. Here is a link to a copy of the paper: Open Learning in Aust TV and Radio 1995.